The Constitution and Rules of
St. John’s Chess Club
1. The name of the club shall be St. John’s Chess Club.
2. The club premises shall be located at the Coachmaker’s Arms, 9 St. Stephens Road, Norwich NR1 3SP or other premises as may be required on a temporary basis.
3. The club will be a members’ club and the objects of the club shall be the fostering and promotion of all aspects of the game of chess and the provision for members of the club of facilities for competitive and friendly playing of the game of chess.
4. Membership of the club shall be open to all persons irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or sexual orientation.
4.1. Junior members are members who are under the age of 18 on the 1st
September in the relevant membership year
4.2. The club at its Annual General Meeting (AGM) may appoint Life Members (all other members are voting, ordinary members). A proposal to appoint a member as a Life Member must be seconded at the AGM and then approved by at least two thirds of those present and voting. A Life Member will not be required to pay an annual subscription to the club.
4.3. The power is reserved to the elected Committee of the club to reject
applications for membership of the club and also to terminate membership if
justifiable cause is considered by the Committee to exist in any situation.
5. The administration of the club shall be the responsibility of the elected
5.1. The elected Committee shall consist of a Chairperson, a Secretary, a
Treasurer, Team Captains, a Webmaster and any other officers elected to the Committee at the AGM.
5.2. Committee members shall serve for one year (subject to any earlier
resignation) but may offer themselves for election for a further year at the
5.3. The Committee shall have power to co-opt other members, from time to time as may be required, to the Committee.
5.4. A quorum for a Committee shall be at least three of the elected Committee members.
6. Members will undertake to conduct themselves properly at all times on club
premises and with due consideration for the interests of other members and
visitors and the staff and patrons of the venue of the club.
7. Members shall be entitled to introduce a maximum of two guests to activities of the Club on any one occasion. The Committee may at its discretion limit the number of times a guest may attend. Members introducing guests shall be expected to accept full responsibility for the conduct of such guests.
8. The Treasurer shall keep such accurate and proper books of account as will enable him at every AGM, or at such other time as may be required by the Committee upon reasonable notice, to present to the club a full and accurate report and statement concerning the finances of the club for the preceding year with a forecast for the future year and to actually present such report. The financial year of the club shall be from 1st July to 30th June of each year.
9.1. The club shall hold its AGM, usually in July of each year.
9.2. All members (of any age) shall be entitled to one single vote at any AGM or any Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM).
9.3. All members shall be entitled to receive prior written notice of at least two
weeks before the date and holding of an AGM or an EGM.
9.4. An EGM must be convened on a proposal for it received by the club
Secretary and signed from at least three members of the Committee.
9.5. Resolutions at an AGM or at an EGM may be passed by and on a simple
majority of members then present. If a vote is tied, then the Chairperson has the casting vote. But proposals or resolutions involving in, the opinion of the Secretary, a change in the Constitution or Rules may only be validly passed by a majority of at least two thirds of members then present and voting.
10.1. The annual subscription payable by every club member for each financial year shall be set by the members at the AGM, after the receipt of advice and recommendations from the Treasurer. The membership year runs from 1st September to 31st August.
10.2. Annual subscriptions are due on 1st September and must be paid by every Ordinary Member on or before 30th September in any membership year.
10.3. The Treasurer at his sole discretion may allow a reduced annual subscription to members joining the club for the first time after 30th November in any membership year.
10.4. A lower annual subscription can be set for junior members but no other
concession to Ordinary Members will be allowed.
11. Alterations or additions to minor club regulations may be made from time to time by the Committee of the club but alterations or any additions to the Constitution and Rules may only be made by at least two thirds of members present and voting at an AGM or at an EGM.
12. The club may be dissolved upon a resolution to that effect passed by a majority of at least three quarters of members present and voting at an AGM or at an EGM called for that purpose. Following upon such a resolution the Committee shall arrange immediately establish a cash value of all the assets or property of the club and such money/assets together with money already then held in accounts of the club shall then be distributed equally among the then current Ordinary Members who were fully paid-up at the time of the resolution for the dissolution (after all proper debts have previously been settled or paid).
13. Any dispute arising out of, or not covered by, this Constitution and Rules, shall be referred to the Committee whose decision in any dispute shall be final.